Tributes

We are incredibly saddened by the passing of John Logue. It's so hard to fathom that he's gone. This is a place where we can share some thoughts and memories about John Logue.

Thursday, December 10, 2009

I am so incredibly saddened at the passing of John Logue, a close friend, mentor and colleague. He is someone who meant so much to me personally and professionally.

I began working at Kent State ten years ago. Shortly after I was hired, John, a senior faculty member with a slight southern drawl, came into my office. I was expecting a lecture about my place in the department. Instead we talked about Sweden (his area of expertise) and Germany (the country I had just written a dissertation about). I was taken aback by that fact that he seemed to know significantly more about Germany than I did.

We talked about the importance of unions. He shared with me stories of what life was like at the university prior to faculty union representation; how many of the rights that faculty now take for granted were the result of hard fought past battles. Unions were not something that stifled economic development. On the contrary, John and I were united in the view that labor representation was a central component to any just and healthy economic system.

We talked about our favorite beers and ales and he invited me to join him at a place I’d never heard of: the Great Lakes Brewing Company in Cleveland. Over time, we would spend many hours at the Great Lakes Brewing Company comparing our favorite lagers and stouts.

Most importantly, at that first meeting in my office John talked to me about the culture and structure of the department. It was an incredibly difficult and contentious period in our department. And, as he did with so many, John took me under his wing during my first days and Kent. He shared with me what I needed to do to succeed and what I should be careful to avoid. His advice and counsel proved invaluable. And since that meeting I made a point of turning to John first for any questions related to university, department or the profession.

I honestly cannot believe this person who was in my office just two weeks ago, is now no longer with us. And while I feel great sadness at losing such a good friend and colleague, I can’t help but feel fortunate to have known a person of such integrity, compassion, intellect, and humor.

Mark Cassell

No comments:

Post a Comment